Written a short story or had a go at a novel? Want constructive feedback in a supportive group of like-minded writers? Then The Next Step is for you.
This six week intensive course offers weekly critique workshops as well as sessions on advanced writing techniques such as modes of narration, pace, plotting a novel, editing, how to strengthen your regular writing practice and how to read like a writer.
The course includes a Q&A session with a published author as well as sure-fire strategies on how to maintain motivation once the course is over. Come along and join us!
Feedback from Write Like a Grrrl Manchester:
- ☆ “I have honestly never been in a better learning environment. Write Like a Grrrl is amazing.”
- ☆ “The course has massively increased my confidence in my writing.”
- ☆”I came away from the course, not only with pages of notes, but with the beginnings of several new pieces of writing and a confidence in my ability as a writer I lost a long time ago. Write Like a Grrrl was such a rewarding experience. It helped me recover my writing mojo, and has given me a new confidence and bags of motivation.”
- ☆Jane was incredible – so knowledgeable and full of great tips and reading suggestions, but also a great facilitator – she was brilliant at reading the room, actively listening and providing space when needed.”
- ☆ “Thank you for helping me so much towards getting writing. This is such a great resource for girls and women to have open to them. Just what I had had been looking for.”
- ☆ “Jane made me feel comfortable and confident in my abilities. Very informative, supportive and fun.”
- ☆ “Jane created a great, relaxed, safe environment for creativity and exploration.”
- ☆ “Jane is fabulous. She’s been professional yet approachable, encouraging yet sincere. Her feedback really motivated me.”
- ☆ “I couldn’t imagine anyone more suited to giving this course. Jane is such an inspiration. She is generous with her advice and support, never condescending despite her talent and so approachable!”
- ☆ “The course helped me to grow in confidence and has inspired me. It helped to be in a varied group, and to feel that I was supported.”
- ☆ “A really productive, unthreatening and inspirational environment.”
- ☆ “It has been incredibly helpful working in this women-only environment to explore my ideas.”
- ☆ “A really excellent course that sets you up with a professional attitude, makes writing less daunting and more enjoyable.”
- ☆ “Excellent: encouraging, positive and motivating. The course has demystified writing for me.”
- ☆ “The course really lifted my spirits; the things I’ve learned have been fantastic.”
Attendees of other series of Write Like a Grrrl have also described the sessions as: “perfectly pitched, informative, inclusive, and empowering,” “informal and supportive,” “friendly and collaborative,” “fantastic” and “a good mixture of practical exercises and useful advice.”
Jane is the founder and director of For Books’ Sake. She has a degree in Creative Writing and has delivered For Books’ Sake workshops at arts and literature festivals, universities and other organisations across the UK, for a range of age groups and audiences. Her writing has been published by Pankhearst, Dog Horn, Papercut Press, Time Out and more. She has performed at Contact Theatre, Royal Exchange, Edinburgh Fringe and other live lit events, and has been longlisted for the Lucy Cavendish Fiction Prize and a Young Enigma Award.
Book your place below by paying for all six sessions in one transaction (£89.99), or reserve a place with a deposit of only £39.99.
If using the deposit option, the balance of the course fees must be paid by October 8th 2019.
Payment is via Paypal to keep your details safe and secure, and you don’t even need a Paypal account to make your payment.
If you get stuck or have any questions, please just drop us a line. Otherwise, can’t wait to see you again to continue writing like a grrrl!
Course bookings are non-refundable, however if you are unable to attend, we may be able to transfer names or offer you a place on a future course, subject to availability.
We have a small number of subsidised places available to those facing financial barriers to attending. Please email us if you think you may be eligible.