We’ve taken on pulp fiction, tales from the roller derby track, women warriors, erotica and young adult fiction. Now, we’re accepting submissions to our next anthology, and we want you to get involved.
What we want:
Short stories of up to 7,000 words by women writers, responding to the theme of ‘ghosts.’
– Set your story in any genre, time or place.Your ghosts can be literal or symbolic. Give us haunted houses, people, places or things, urban legends and updated folklore, supernatural cyberpunk or anything sinister and strange.
– Give us memorable protagonists readers can relate to, and a rich, believable world.
– We are especially excited by authors and stories focusing on marginalised voices, such as (but not limited to): characters of colour; queer, trans, genderfluid and non-binary characters; disabled characters and characters from low-income backgrounds.
– We will consider previously published stories as long as you hold the rights, but please make this clear in your submission.
What happens next: The anthology will be published as a print and digital book in Autumn 2017. We’ll be in touch with successful contributors by the end of March 2017, and may request minor edits to selected stories at this time. We’ll coordinating events as part of the launch campaign, which all successful contributors will be invited to attend.
Payment: For Books’ Sake is a volunteer-run charitable organisation that currently receives no external funding, so our budget is limited. However, all successful contributors will be awarded a small payment, along with free copies of the finished anthology. Any profit we make from the anthology once production costs have been recouped will be channeled into future publishing projects and other activity championing women writers, such as our regular workshops and events.
Who we want to hear from:
– Authors must identify as women, and be aged eighteen years or over at the time of submitting their work.
– Authors can be based anywhere in the world
How to submit
Head over to Submittable for all the details and to send in your stories by midnight on 26th February 2017.