Calling all Furies and women writers ready to take a sinner and spin her anew…
For Books’ Sake invites poets to write back on behalf of wronged and radical women for our first ever poetry anthology.
Furies will be published in Autumn 2014, and will showcase established and emerging women writers from across the globe. So, for a chance to be featured, wet your nibs with spite and find your muse among the infernal goddesses of justice and revenge.
We interpret Furies in the widest possible sense, and your hellcat heroines may be modern, mythic, animal or cyborg, women from film, fiction, history, music, art and activism, or rebels in their own home.
Whether you’re penning a tribute to Pussy Riot, a sonnet about suffragettes, a love letter to women warriors from fairytale or folklore, or something else entirely, we can’t wait to read your writing.
Poets should submit a maximum of three poems, each no longer than 40 lines. The deadline for submissions is midnight on Sunday 30th March 2014. The very best will be featured in our Furies poetry anthology.
All profits from Furies will be donated to Rape Crisis, an independent, registered charity providing essential support to survivors of rape and sexual violence.
To submit a poem, writers are requested to make a donation of £1 per poem or £2 for three poems. If for any reason your financial circumstances make this difficult, please send us an email.
Terms and conditions:
1. The competition is open to all self-identifying women writers based anywhere around the world. Both cisgender and transgender women are welcome.
2. Submissions must be the writer’s own work. We will accept previously unpublished submissions, or poems that have been published elsewhere as long as the poet still holds the rights to their work. If applicable, please contact your previous publisher to ensure that you can give us permission to republish them. Unless a different composition is important to the sense of the poem, please use Times 12pt font and submit your work as a .doc, .docx, or .pdf attachment with your Paypal reference number to email@example.com. Please also include a short biography of no more than 100 words. Poems must be submitted by midnight on Sunday 30th March 2014.
3. Selected contributors will be notified by email by Monday 28th April 2014. The editor’s decision is final. All applicants will receive an automated submission acknowledgement, but we regret that we will not be able to reply individually to those entrants not selected for publication.
4. Authors retain all rights to their work, however we do request that entrants refrain from publishing submitted poems elsewhere during the submissions period, and for selected contributors, for the duration of the editing and publication period, and for a reasonable time thereafter.
5. Since all profits from the Furies poetry anthology are being donated to Rape Crisis, contributors will not receive any payment for their involvement, but poets based in the UK and Ireland will receive a free copy of the collection, with free digital copies for international contributors.